Tuesday 29 May 2018

Spring I/O 2018 recap


Last week I had a chance to attend Spring I/O 2018. It was my first time at Spring I/O conference ever, and it was an honor to share the stage with so many fantastic speakers. The number of participants was doubled comparing to the last year. 1000 people from 46 countries gathered in the wonderful city of Barcelona to get the Spring knowledge from over 50 speakers.

The agenda was full of interesting topics and workshops from numerous different areas, and it was hard to choose where to go. Unfortunately, the quality level was very diverse - from the very poor talks to great ones. Below I tried to summarize my thoughts.

First of all, I am very happy to see that DDD concepts are being spread around the world, because this is the way we should make our business software. Michael Plöd gave a good talk about implementing DDD in Spring ecosystem. He made an overview of DDD concepts, and mentioned the initiative of Jakub Pilimon and Michał Michaluk, called ddd-by-examples, which is a solid proof that all DDD enthusiasts collaborate with each other in teaching people what DDD is all about. What's more, Michael gave an example of Archunit library, which I had never used before (but I surely will). Archunit is a tool that enables us to enforce the architectural conventions within our application by writing tests that stand guard.

In most of my projects I used Swagger as a way of documenting my APIs. The problem with it is that it can very easily contribute to technology debt, as there are no mechanisms that would enforce the consistency between the documentation and the actual implementation. Alternative solution was proposed by Mathias Düsterhöft in his talk about Documenting RESTful APIs with Spring REST Docs and RAML. With the help of Spring REST Docs we are able to produce an accurate documentation from our Spring MVC tests. I will surely give it a try.

As I am pretty up to date with Spring 5.0.x and Spring Boot 2.0.x, I didn't get any new information but I'm sure that all attendees that were new to these releases could get an insight into the roadmap and features presented by Juergen Hoeller (Roadmap, Features' highlights),  Andy Wilkinson (Actuator) or Madhura Bhave (Spring Boot 2.0).

Unfortunately I had my flight back to Poland too early to attend talks of Spencer Gibb (Introducing Spring Cloud Gateway), Marcin Grzejszczak (Continuous Deployment of your Application), and Jakub Pilimon (Testing your Message-Driven Application), but as I already had a possibility to see those presentations during polish conferences and meetups I'm sure they rocked the place!

Now something about myself. First day of conference, at 5:30 PM, I started my talk about Dynamic Configuration Management in Microservice Architecture with Spring Cloud, and... I had a full room. If you don't believe me, look at this photo:


The best thing about the talk is that I got fantastic feedback from the audience. People were approaching me, shaking my hand, asking questions, and from many of them I heard that it was the best talk of the day. This is exactly what keeps me going! Thank you all for your precious feedback!

From this place I wanted to thank Sergi Almar for giving me a chance to speak in front of such a fantastic audience and for organizing this great event. Well done, Sergi! Many thanks to HL Tech as well for handling all the logistics and supporting my speaker's career all the way through.

I hope to join the next edition of Spring I/O. See you next year! Cheers! 


23 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Any recap of Spring I/O 2019 Conference?

    Best,
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel, unfortunately, I haven't prepared any this time.

      Delete
  2. This article is useful for everyone. Thanks for this wonderful article.
    Microservices Online Training
    Microservices Training in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiii....Thanks for sharing Great info...Nice post...Keep move on...
    Blockchain Training in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete

  4. I was scrolling the internet like every day, there I found this article which is related to my interest. The way you covered the knowledge about the subject and the Bungalows in chunabhatti bhopal was worth to read, it undoubtedly cleared my vision and thoughts towards B Commercial Shops on ayodhya bypass road. Your writing skills and the way you portrayed the examples are very impressive. The knowledge about flats in chunabhatti bhopal is well covered. Thank you for putting this highly informative article on the internet which is clearing the vision about top builders in Bhopal and who are making an impact in the real estate sector by building such amazing townships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog post it’s very useful for me.
    Thank you for sharing this amazing post with me.
    java-development

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post. An important image annotation technique which outlines the object in the image with a box, for object classification and localization models.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Useful information. Thanks for sharing this article. Sharing for learn
    Read More Awareness message

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..
    java代做

    ReplyDelete

  10. I believe there are many more pleasurable opportunities ahead for individuals that looked at your site

    Home Care Services

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an amazing blog, thank you so much for sharing such valuable information with us.
    Microservices Online Training
    Microservices Training in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific article! This is the type of information that should be shared across the web. Bhopal University BA 3rd Year Result

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing wonderful information with us to get some idea about that content.
    Workday Online Integration Course
    Workday Online Integration Course in India

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent data with lots of information. I have bookmarked this page for my future reference. Do share more updates.
    Full Stack Course in Chennai
    Full Stack Training in Chennai
    Full Stack Developer Online Training

    ReplyDelete


  15. you have written an excellent blog.. keep sharing your knowledge...
    resources of cloud computing
    google cloud resources

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great deals of important information and also a great article. I am currently following for your blog site and I am bookmarking it future reference. thanks for sharing!
    top crm software

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great, you explained everything in your blog. Thanks for the info; this is nice and helpful. My friends will definitely benefit from this article.You Should write on Malaysia VPS Hosting it offers an amazing hosting solution to users.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for talking about this blog, this post of yours is very different; thanks for giving information about it. If you are searching for the fastest and cheap USA dedicated server, you can ask us for more details and services.. USA Dedicated Server

    ReplyDelete
  19. We got to know a lot from this post, this post is helpful for everyone, thanks for this post!! If you are searching for the fastest and cheapest Ukraine VPS server, you can ask us for more details and services. Ukraine VPS Server

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, got to know a lot from this blog, thank you for this information. If you are searching for fastest and cheap Ukraine Dedicated server, you can ask us for more details and services. Ukraine Dedicated Server

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete